Monday, February 04, 2008

So. I'm back in India, that strange, strange place. It is profoundly odd, and more than a little unsettling, to come back here, to an empty house. What do they say, the fools, lessons learned? ;)

The weather is beautiful, though a little cold, actually. I've gone to the beach a few times. It is so nice to swim in the ocean.

I'm trying to do without a car or motorcycle. No problem there, really. Everything I need for my daily sustenance is easily within walking distance. I have, however, purchased myself a bicycle. It is a bit of a luxury but I'll indulge. It speeds my wanderings and time is, after all, money. I purchased it is Mapsa, the biggest city close to my home, after spending 2 hours walking there to pay my internet bill, for 3000 rupees (approx. 75 USD). It is a new little 5 speed, with lock and bell, and I like it. It will be particularly useful for those monthly romps to Mapsa and for going to the nice little beaches nearby. Though the sea is only a five minute walk from my house the best beaches are 3 and 9 km. away.

I'm doing ok. I'm working (which is going, as expected, well), watching way too much 24 (thank you, Grandma), reading (Walden, right now, in addition to countless words on this screen), and have decided, upon Dane's suggestion, to write more (good advice, and thank you).


1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness you turned comments on. I want to see a picture of your bike, and the house, and everything else. I try to imagine where you are, and all I get is a jumble of google maps and the Darjeeling Limited.

    ReplyDelete

Me

Dallas, TX, United States